In 1806, Ferdinand III of Bourbon, King of Naples and the Two Sicilies, transformed Palermo Academy of Studies into a University, granting it the power to confer degrees in Theology, Medicine, Law, and Arts. From its foundation up until today, the University of Palermo has become increasingly relevant in the field of higher education, research and innovation.

Since the 1990s, it has focused on the improvement of its international outlook by taking part in European Funding Programmes of student and staff mobility, like Erasmus+, as well as in the field of scientific research, such as Horizon 2020.

Today the greatest challenge for UniPa is to create a European campus, suitable for physical and virtual mobility. In this context, UniPa participates in the FORTHEM Alliance with the aim of boosting its attractiveness, strengthening research innovation and encouraging students and staff mobility.

FUN FACTS

The seat of the Rectorate of the University of Palermo is placed in Piazza Marina, one of the largest squares in Palermo city, where Giardino Garibaldi is also situated, a public garden that hosts the biggest Ficus Magnolioides of Europe.  

Palazzo Chiaramonte, known as Steri, is one of the symbolic places of Palermo City and institutional site of UniPa. Elegant and solemn, the building is now the seat of the Rectorate of the University of Palermo. Since 2015 the Professor Fabrizio Micari is the Rector of the University of Palermo.

Nowadays, the University of Palermo is one of the biggest campus in Italy and it has more than 42,000 students (academic year 2019-2020) and 16 Departments (apart from 4 research center Centri interdipartimentali di Ateneo).

MORE INFORMATION

→ Visit the university website.